Monday, September 29, 2014
Wednesday, September 24, 2014
Trying something a little different with this one. As some of you may know, my digital music collection is massive. It grows exponentially every year and I've gotta keep buying external hard drives to feed this disgusting habit. I don't just collect hip hop, of course. I try to cover all grounds. In the past few years, I've gotten back into rock. All sorts of rock. Progressive, fuzz, garage, stoner, freakbeat, drone, space, desert, doom, you name it. Most of this music could fall into the "psychedelic" category, I guess. Now when I think psychedelic, I can't help but think of Doctor Strange, one of my favorite Marvel characters. In PBS' 2013 documentary series, "Superheroes: A Never-Ending Battle", there was a segment on Jim Steranko ("the Jimi Hendrix of comic book art"), his work on the "Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D." series, as well as other psychedelic-inspired characters, stories, and artwork in the Marvel Universe - namely Doctor Strange and the Silver Surfer. In "Superheroes", they kick off this trippy segment by playing Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love". That's when I first got the idea for a Marvel-themed psychedelic rock mix series. Additionally, I was inspired to start something like this after going back to checking out Henry Rollins' EXCELLENT weekly radio show here in Los Angeles on KCRW.
So here we go: Strange Sounds #1. I thought it'd be fitting to kick off #1 by focusing on songs which explicitly mention Doctor Strange in the lyrics (Pink Floyd, T. Rex, Country Joe & the Fish, Paul Roland). I've also got tracks from albums that contain images of Doctor Strange in the record cover artwork (Pink Floyd again, Al Stewart). Then I've also got some classics like CCR's "I Put a Spell on You" and The Doors' "People Are Strange", appropriately enough, as well as various other strange odds and ends. As the series progresses, I'm definitely gonna try to hit you with some obscure s**t you've NEVER heard before. I've already got plans for #2 (Halloween themed!) and #3 (it's a secret... for now), so make sure you stay up to date on this monthly series. Anyway, enough talking; just enjoy the music! Feedback is welcomed, of course. (Oh, and is anybody else interested in the upcoming Doctor Strange movie like I am!?) Turn it up!!
1. Dr. Strange (1978) - "Let it begin, master..."
2. Pink Floyd - Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
3. Iron Butterfly - Unconscious Power
4. T. Rex - Mambo Sun
5. Country Joe & the Fish - Superbird
6. Gentle Giant - Funny Ways
7. Al Stewart - Terminal Eyes
8. Paul Roland - Stranger Than Strange
9. The Attack - Strange House
10. Creedence Clearwater Revival - I Put a Spell on You
11. The Doors - People Are Strange
12. The Modern Lovers - Astral Plane
13. Paul Roland - Dr. Strange
14. The Bobby Fuller Four - The Magic Touch
15. The Outsiders - Doctor
16. Night Beats - Love Ain't Strange (Everything Else Is)
17. Sapphire Thinkers - I Feel a Bit Strange
18. Acid Mothers Temple & The Cosmic Inferno - Ecstasy in Hell
19. Pink Floyd - Cymbaline